Flossing With a Waterpik
Posted by INSPIRE SMILES DENTAL on Dec 16 2020, 03:36 AM
Have you heard of a Waterpik, which is popularly used as an alternative for a conventional floss? Many people find flossing quite challenging as it is difficult to effectively handle the string and remove the adhered food particles and tartar. Also, the chances of injuring the soft gum tissues are higher. In such instances, a Waterpik would be a worthy alternative.
What is a Waterpik?
A Waterpik is a dental appliance that is used to remove the adhered food debris between the teeth and under the gums. It consists of a small device that stores water and a hand-held jet that shoots water at high pressure. When the jet of water is aimed at the intersection of the teeth, it gently removes the food deposits and other adhered particles. It can also be used to remove the debris from under the gums, thereby keeping them from developing gum diseases.
What are the advantages of a Waterpik?
- Patients who find it challenging to floss with a regular floss can use a Waterpik. It is relatively simple to use and can be carried out effortlessly.
- If you are using dental braces, flossing can become quite a task. In some instances, it wouldn’t be possible at all. Waterpik can be of great help to such patients as it thoroughly cleans the teeth and the braces as well.
- The food debris deposited under the gums can also be removed using a Waterpik.
- The chances of injuring the soft gum tissues are eliminated completely.
- If you have dental restorations such as bridges, crowns, or veneers, a Waterpik can be used to clean it thoroughly.
- The jet of water also helps to wash away the removed debris. This promotes fresh breath.
Dr. Rassiwala can tell you more about the benefits of a Waterpik. Please contact us today online or by calling 925-833-9500.