Dental EmergencyWhat is a dental emergency? Basically, a dental emergency refers to any damage or pain to the teeth and/or gums that is not easily relieved. Dental issues from a serious toothache to a knocked-out tooth may qualify as a dental emergency. Dr. Rassiwala at Inspire Smiles Dental is only a phone call away at (925) 833-9500 in Dublin, CA.
Common Emergency Dental Issues and Treatments
- Knocked-Out Tooth: If you end up with a knocked-out tooth, don’t panic. Instead, pick the tooth up by the crown—never the root—and rinse it under running water. Try to remove any dirt or debris, but leave any tissue adhering to the tooth. If you can, place the tooth back into the socket and bite down gently to hold it in place until you see Dr. Rassiwala. This is the best preservation method. Otherwise, place the tooth in a glass of milk and bring it with you to the office.
- Toothache/Object Stuck in Teeth: If you experience a sudden toothache or something becomes caught between your teeth that causes pain, floss gently on either side of the aching tooth and rinse with warm water. If this fails to address the discomfort or remove the object, call Dr. Rassiwala. Never use anything other than floss as you could hurt your gums.
A toothache that is causing significant pain and is not relieved by acetaminophen or ibuprofen may be an emergency. If the pain prohibits you from going to work, sleeping, or eating, call our offices immediately.
- Lost Filling or Crown: If you lose a crown or filling, use dental cement to re-attach or cover the exposed tooth. You can purchase dental cement at the nearest pharmacy. Lost fillings and crowns are not dental emergencies unless you are in severe pain. Call Inspire Smiles Dental for the next available appointment.
- Cracked or Chipped Tooth: If your tooth breaks, gather up any pieces you can find and bring them with you. For both a chipped or cracked tooth, rinse with warm water and apply gauze to control any bleeding. You may need a cold compress to reduce swelling.
- Loose Tooth: If a tooth becomes loose, due to injury or decay, contact our office right away. Delaying treatment could damage the connective tissue between the teeth and gums, causing the tooth to loosen even more or possibly fall out. It may then require a root canal or an extraction.
- Torn Gums/Broken Jaw/Lacerated Tongue: If you think you might require stitches or have broken facial bones go directly to the nearest emergency room for urgent care. If any teeth are damaged at the same time, call our offices at your first opportunity for a full dental exam and to discuss treatment options.
Call Dr. Rassiwala in Dublin, CA for any Dental Emergency
Call our offices at (925) 833-9500 now to set up the next available appointment. Our team reserves appointments every day for emergency patients. We are waiting to take your call in Dublin, CA.